Using Back Support Products for Driving
Back (lumbar) support pillows and cushions are not just for use in home or at the office. They also reduce back discomfort while driving. Back support pillows help align your neck, back and hips, and improve your posture while sitting in an upright position. Back pain is usually caused by bad posture, and the lower back is the area that usually needs additional support.
Keeping good posture is difficult when sitting for long periods of time such as driving for hours to a destination. A lumbar back support pillow helps to correct your posture and reduce the weight and pressure off your lower back, redistributing it evenly. Additional benefits include better focus on the road and lower fatigue levels. A lumbar support product is not limited to a driver; a passenger will also benefit from using one.
According to a recent article on spineuniverse.com, while a vehicle is in motion the body is subject to different forces: to accelerations and decelerations, to lateral swaying from side to side, and to whole-body up and down vibrations. Activity of the feet on the gas pedal and brake also cannot be used to support and stabilize the lower body as normally as when they are placed on the floor during usual sitting.
Back Care While Driving
Use the following pointers to prevent or decrease back pain while driving:
- Make adjustments to car seat features in addition to the use of a lumbar cushion.
- Carefully change your posture from time to time to prevent postural fatigue.
- Take sufficient rest breaks to stand up and move around.
- Choose a variety of car seat accessories that add to your driving comfort, including a travel neck pillow.
There are many brands of lumbar support products to choose from when searching for the best cushion or pillow for your car. A cushion is like a seat cover or padding with raised areas that provide the support your back needs. A pillow also comes designed or curved to improve your posture. Both types of lumbar support are budget-friendly.
Factors to Consider
Here a few factors to consider in order to get the best cushion or pillow suitable for you:
- Make sure it is user-friendly and made with quality material that can withstand normal wear and tear of long-term use.
- Look at the filling of the lumbar support. From air filled to gel or memory foam, choose the filling that offers the best customized fit for your back.
- Check if the lumbar support is compatible with your car, and that it is not too soft or too hard. Its shape must provide optimal comfort, and it should offer proper air circulation.
- Read reviews from other people to narrow down your options for choosing the best lumbar support product.
Highly trained staff at Carmichael’s locations in Crowley, Lafayette and Lake Charles can assist with choosing the right lumbar support cushion or pillow for your needs. Carmichael’s Retail and Compounding Pharmacies in Crowley also offer pain management therapy, which helps ease the suffering and improves the quality of life of those living with pain such as chronic low back pain. Please contact a Carmichael’s representative to discuss any pain management therapy needs in addition to lumbar support products.